It might be mysql, poorly configured (though I did change the settings from the horrific defaults, and that only seemed to make a difference for a short while); it might be apache's settings, not quite figured out (it's forking like a mad dishware swashbuckler!) But that's probably right. I mean, there's a lot of traffic.
And I thought it might be an open files limit... but I'm thinking it's not. I managed to figure out how to see how many open files each process had ((though maybe, in retrospect, it would be good to search by parent... or user... hmm....)) anyway, for the above:
lsof | tr -s ' ' ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | uniq -c | sort -n +0
I hadn't known about the
uniq. Found it on a very helpful, random solutions sort of blog. Thing.
I still don't know what's up with the server.
_could_ be the kajillion cache files sitting in /tmp. I had to write a double for bash loop to kill them all.... well, most of them.
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e do for j in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f do rm -f cache_398dd12b7b99bd78e3d8a7c0f83a8493_$i$j* done done
Trying to delete more than that chunk at a time left, hmm. I forget the error. Too many arguments to rm, or something like that.
I like my bunny. :)