September 28th, 2009

the joker, exuberance, amused

took a shower in the lawn last night

I took a shower in the lawn last night.

I am _not_ Mr. Fix-it, but I try. So every problem is an opportunity, right? I knew nothing about sprinkler heads, but one in the corner was just "burbling" instead of "spraying". The lawn had grown very densely around it, practically locking it in. I dug the lawn out around it, and tested--the head shot up in the air and I had a geyser.

So I ran (drove) down to the hardware store (Lowe's), and with a little help figured out the part that shot out was not all of the thing that I needed to replace (made sense, just hadn't thought to dig for more--but I _had_ figured out it didn't really "go back in" reasonably). Got a new sprinkler head thinger (I've already forgotten the name, hah). Got home, unscrewed the old one, and turns out the old one was a "slim" design. So I needed to dig more dirt out to get the new one in.

This led to a progression of digging dirt out, digging more dirt out, trying to even find where the tube was that I was supposed to screw the new part into. (muddy, rocky morass) Would turn the sprinklers on to clear it some, then dig some more, turn them on, etc. finally got it "mostly" clear but still couldn't keep rocks, silt, etc, from falling back into the tube.

So turned the sprinklers on and screwed the thing in "against the flow".

Wet, wet, cold kaolin. But it worked. :)